Where did the extra solutions come from?

Discussion in 'Algebra' started by nav22, Jul 15, 2023.

1. nav22

nav22

Take (x+1)^2 = x^2 + 2x +1 which is true for all x. Then we have x = 2x^2-5x which is true for x = 0 and x = 3. If we have any combination, I think you can only use x which is valid in both, which is just 0 and 3. Then writing (2x^2 - 5x + 1)^2 = x^2 + 2x +1, should only be satisfied by 0 and 3, however this is not the case ( we have an extra solution x=1). Now I would like to ask, does this extra solution affect the logic of what we already did? What I mean by this is that just because we could only be sure that the equation held for some x, does that interfere with the logic that it holds for other x which we did not expect? Or is it a case of, all we can say is that it holds for 0 and 3. (Not that they are the only solutions, but that it definitely holds for those x)

nav22, Jul 15, 2023
  2. nav22

Phrzby Phil

There are no "extra" solutions.

You have merely created a new function from 2 other expressions (one of which just happens to be the definition of the distributive law).

Phrzby Phil, Aug 1, 2023
Ask a Question