High School Geometry Before Trigonometry

Discussion in 'Algebra' started by nycmathguy, Dec 31, 2021.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

In most schools across the USA, students must take geometry before trigonometry. Is geometry needed before trigonometry? If so, why?

nycmathguy, Dec 31, 2021
  2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

Geometry IS needed before trigonometry. You should already be familiar with algebra and geometry before learning trigonometry.

The most important concept from geometry brought forward to Trigonometry is knowing the trigonometry ratios;
    sine = opposite side/hypotenuse,
    cosine = adjacent side/hypotenuse
    tangent = opposite side/ adjacent side
    and also knowing the relationship between the side lengths of the 45°-45°-90° triangle and also the relationship between the lengths of the 30°-60°-90° triangle.

MathLover1, Dec 31, 2021
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Good to know. By the way, I like high school geometry except for direct and indirect proofs. I never understood how to prove anything using the statements versus reasons chart so often taught in high school. I can find x in just about any geometric figure (at the high school level) but no proofs.

nycmathguy, Dec 31, 2021
  4. nycmathguy

Country Boy

But true mathematics is all about proofs!

Country Boy, Jan 19, 2022
  5. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

1. I am not a mathematician.

2. I am 56 soon to be 57. A review of high school mathematics plus learning Calculus l, ll, and lll is enough for me.

3. Proofs are interestingly fun to work through if every step makes sense. Most proofs make zero sense to me.

4. I am not reviewing math hoping to land a teaching job or even a tutor job.

5. You should read all replies by MathLover1. There is no criticism in her statements. Humility goes a long way, boy.

nycmathguy, Jan 20, 2022
Ask a Question