Algebra 1 & 2 Before Geometry

Discussion in 'Algebra' started by nycmathguy, Dec 31, 2021.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

In schools across the USA, students must take algebra 1 and 2 before geometry. Why is this the case? Why is algebra 1 and 2 needed before geometry?

nycmathguy, Dec 31, 2021
  2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

Algebra 1 is concentrated on solving equations and inequalities.
    But, algebra 2 concentrates on additional types of equations, such as exponential and logarithmic equations. Algebra 1 is essential to understand algebra 2, whereas, algebra 2 is essential for understanding concepts coming on calculus.

Geometry is typically taken before algebra 2 and after algebra 1.
    Since geometry covers the basic rules for trigonometric ratios and introduces students to relationships between shape dimensions, it would benefit the student to study geometry before taking algebra 2, which does a deeper dive into trigonometric topics.

MathLover1, Dec 31, 2021
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

1. I agree that Algebra 1 is needed before Algebra 2.

2. I also agree that basic geometry should be taught between Algebra 1 and 2.

3. I don't agree, however, that students at the high school level should be taught geometric proofs. Do you know Henry Winkler? He is the actor who played the Fonz role in the famous sitcom Happy Days. In many interviews, Henry admitted that he took high school geometry several times and finally passed with a D on the fourth or fifth try. According to Henry, he just couldn't understand the Pythagorean Theorem. Of course, Henry also admitted that he is dyslexic.

4. I often wonder if I am dyslexic. I have trouble, for example, understanding when something new is explained to me, especially if the person who is doing the teaching has a heavy accent. This explains why I fear JOB TRAINING and why I work as a security guard. I have two CUNY degrees and an A.A. degree from the Family Radio School of the Bible but GREATLY FEAR job training. In terms of security at the guard level, there really isn't much to know UNLESS the job requires learning specific details, say, at the security desk. I am now off topic here. LOL.

5. When I tried learning direct geometric proofs, I quickly realized that it simply isn't for me. At that moment in time, I didn't bother to study indirect geometric proofs, which takes an even greater bizarre turn. I love geometry without proofs, truth tables, and the dreaded constructions.

nycmathguy, Dec 31, 2021
  4. nycmathguy

MathLover1

Absolutely 100% yes, geometric proofs are the best tools for teaching critical thinking in general. Geometrical proofs offer students a clear introduction to logical arguments, which is central to all mathematics. They show the exact relationship between reason and equations. More so, since geometry deals with shapes and figures, it opens the student's brains to visualizing what must be proven.

MathLover1, Dec 31, 2021
    nycmathguy likes this.
  5. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

In that case, I may ask you to help me with high school geometry proofs in the future. Right now we are reviewing precalculus followed by first semester calculus.

nycmathguy, Dec 31, 2021
Ask a Question